Friday, January 01, 2010

Don't Hate Me, Meat Eaters

It's one of the greatest dilemmas in vegetarianism: how to talk about your diet without annoying your friends.

My host, a new friend, asks if I'm drinking red or white. I tell him that depends on what's for dinner. Turns out, it's lamb.

"I'm so sorry," I say, feeling like a jerk for being a jerk, and also like a jerk for feeling like a jerk. "Didn't I mention that I'm a vegetarian?"

I hadn't. So we move on to the consolation.

"Don't worry about it!" my host (still friendly) chirps. "There's plenty of other stuff. I made a great Caesar salad."

"I hope this question won't be annoying, but is there any anchovy in the dressing?"

"You don't eat anchovy?"

"I'm afraid not," I say, as if it weren't a choice.

"Just a little bit in a dressing spoils the whole salad?"

"Spoils isn't the right word," I say. Although it is.

And now, the inevitable: "Why don't you eat this stuff?"

Read the rest of Jonathan Safran Foer's thoughtful commentary in the January/February 2010 issue of Men's Health Magazine...

2 comments:

vegaia said...

Get Ready to Kickstart Your Health in 2010!

Based on research by Neal Barnard, M.D., one of America’s leading health advocates, this TOTALLY FREE program is designed for anyone who wants to explore and experience the health benefits of a vegan diet.

http://support.pcrm.org/site/PageServer?pagename=21day_vegan_kickstart

Matt Schmidt said...

I don't have this problem. But I suspect that I'm not as polite as you when dealing with this sort of thing.

VEGAN THUG LIFE 4EVA